St. Fillan of Munster, the son of Feriach, grandson of Cellach Cualann, King of Leinster, received the monastic habit in the Abbey of Saint Fintan Munnu. He came to Scotland from Ireland in 717 as a hermit along with his Irish princess-mother St. Kentigerna, his Irish prince-uncle St. Comgan. They settled at Loch Duich.
Fillan later moved south and is said to have been a monk at Taghmon in Wexford before eventually settling in Pittenweem (the Place of the Cave), Fife, in the east of Scotland later in the 8th century.
St. Fillan was the abbot of a monastery in Fife before retiring to Glen Dochart and Strathfillan near Tyndrum in Perthshire. At an Augustinian priory at Kirkton Farm along to the “West Highland Way,” the priory’s “Lay Abbot,” who was its superior in the reign of “William the Lion,” held high rank in the Scottish kingdom. This monastery was restored in the reign of “Robert I of Scotland” (Robert the Bruce), and became a cell of the abbey of “Canons regular” at “Inchaffray Abbey.” The new foundation received a grant from King Robert, in gratitude for the aid which he was supposed to have obtained from a relic of the saint (an arm bone) on the eve of the great victory over King Edward II’s English soldiers at the Battle of Bannockburn. The saint’s original chapel was up river, slightly northwest of the Abbey and adjacent to a deep body of water which became known as St. Fillan’s Pool.
St. Fillan was credited with powers such as the healing of the sick and also possessed a luminous glow from his left arm which he used to study and write Sacred Scriptures in the dark.
St. Fillan is the patron saint of the mentally ill. As late as the 19th century, such people were dunked in St. Fillan’s Pool, bound and left overnight tied to the font, or possibly to a pew, in the ruined chapel. If the bonds were loosed by morning, it was taken as a sign that a cure had taken place.
A story is told that while St. Fillan was ploughing the fields near Killin, a wolf took the life of the ox and thus Fillan could not continue. A geis was put on the ox, which meant the wolf had to take the place of the ox and do its work. The story may be considered more of a parable than historical truth, but the connection with the origins of Fillan’s name remains prominent.
The Mayne was an arm bone, now lost, enclosed in a silver reliquary or casket. Legend has it that King Robert the Bruce requested the bone be brought to the Bannockburn battle site. The deoir, hereditary keeper of the relic, and the Abbot of Inchaffray Abbey left the bone behind and brought only the reliquary because they didn’t want the relic to fall into English possession. On the eve of the Bannockburn battle, as the deoir, the abbot and Robert knelt in prayer, a noise came from the reliquary. They looked at the reliquary as the door opened and the bone fell to the floor. The Bruce won the battle the next day, and he established a monastery to thank St. Fillan for the victory.
The Quigrich, or saint’s staff, crosier, also known as the Coygerach, was long in possession of a family of the name of Jore and/or Dewar (from the Gaelic deoir), who were its hereditary guardians in the Middle Ages. The Dewars, or deoiradh, certainly had it in their custody during 1428, and their right was formally recognized by King James III in 1487. The head of the crozier, which is of silver-gilt with a smaller one of bronze enclosed within it, is in the Museum of Scotland.
The Bernane, a cast bronze bell, is also preserved in the museum and was placed over a sufferer’s head during healing rituals to heal such afflictions as migraine headaches and more. During the Middle Ages, the bell was kept in the care of deoiradh at several Glen Dochart farms. Legend has it that the bell would come to St. Fillan when called. One day a visitor who was unused to seeing bells flying through the air was startled and shot it with an arrow, causing a crack. The Bernane was used in the coronation of King James IV at Scone on 24 June 1488. Another story came about only in the early 19th century, concerning an English tourist who stole the bell. The bell was recovered by Bishop Forbes of the Episcopalian Diocese of Brechin 70 years later, in 1869, who had it placed in the Scottish National Museum in Edinburgh for safe keeping.
Still kept at the woolen mill in Killin are a set of river stones which were believed to have been given healing powers by St. Fillan. A particular sequence of movements of an appropriate stone around the afflicted area was thought to result in a cure. Each stone cured a particular part of the body.